Pay It Forward

I needed some shtuff from Shoppers today & I want to hand my resume to the Bargain Shop so I took a little half hour stroll to "downtown Keswick" (ha!) I was in line at Shoppers and there was an older man in front of me & he started talking to me about what he was buying, which happened to be those little marshmallow ice cream candy thingies. he started off with the cliche old-man expression "now, when I was young..." & we just got to talking. he was also buying a cute little birthday card for a local doctor who's birthday was today, and proceeded to show me it. something about a smelly sock puppet...ANYway, jeez this story is taking forever.

he needed a quarter to make his purchase even, so I gave him one 'cause I tend to always have alot of useless change & I just thought it'd be a nice gesture. he says "you know, we need more people in the world like you" or something equally as sweet, and hugs me. a stranger I met 5 minutes prior HUGGED me in the middle of Shoppers Drugmart and told me I made his day. the cashier was all "oooh it's like that movie, Pay it Forward!". anywho, so he walks out and says "I really hope you have a good life" now, I've never heard that line before but I thought it was nice nonetheless. the cashier however was all "ooh I've never heard that before, kind of creepy!" like please, the guy is 65 years old and I'm sure grew up in a time where people were a heck of a lot nicer and more compassionate towards other people than they are today. he was just being nice; why do people get so freaked out when people try to be nice to them?

sooo I guess giving a quarter to an old man was my good deed for the day. but his kindness towards me made my day, more than me giving him a quarter made his. just be nice people, a smile is all it takes :)

0 Comments:



Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin